"You know you are a triathlete when you feel odd not working out at least six times a week.”

maanantai 28. tammikuuta 2013

Kasvava herkkyys

Heightened sensitivity (HUOM! suomenkielinen teksti alla)


I have spent most of this week in recovery mode, as I came down with the flu last week. Luckily I didn’t become totally bed-ridden, but I still had to skip my workouts. This forced me to think about my health and to listen to my body – an important lesson in and of itself! 

For a slightly impatient amateur athlete such as myself, a week’s break from training seems like eternity. But as I was ordered to take it easy by a couple of different people, that was what I had to do. Getting adequate rest is a big deal in this game.

Yesterday I gave myself the permission to go cross country skiing. The 90-minute skiing session and the 1.5-hour walk that followed were the last workouts the week. Both were conducted in good company! These gave me a good kick and reassured me that I’m still in good shape.

This week’s skiing was indeed quite a different experience from last week’s. A week ago I completed a 3-hour ski session, the difficulty of which should have told me something was wrong: this longest workout of the week was close to being my toughest and most strenuous so far.

I couldn’t get into the swing of skiing at all; I felt tired and cold despite my heart rate being close to the max of my basic endurance level. I wasn’t far from quitting but went through with the full training session out of sheer determination. All of this should have got me thinking that something wasn’t right. 

But you don’t always remember (or even want to) what it feels like when the flu is on its way. This is especially true when you are the type to not get sick often.

This episode brought on a heightened level of sensitivity for me, reminding me that we should all pay attention to our bodies. When things seem a bit off in your training, you need to listen to yourself.

This can be done in a number of ways. At first I would pay attention to how tired you feel and your heart rate. The ability to recognize your abnormal symptoms is the cornerstone of all physical activity, be the cause workout exhaustion, an oncoming flu or inadequate sleep.

Working out while tired doesn’t help anything, and recovering from such a workout ends up taking longer than usual. Exercising while exhausted also doesn’t lift your mood, which is a big motivating factor in sports.

We all have to go through one flu per winter, it seems. I’m really happy for all the advice I got that kept me off the training field for a week and made it possible for me to continue hardcore this coming week.

This week looks to be a 10-hour training week. So we will take it from here, hopefully with no follow-up illnesses.

Happy training everyone! And remember that only working out while healthy will get you to that top physical condition you aspire to be in.


Kasvava herkkyys


Viimeinen viikko onkin mennyt lepäillessä, koska olin viikon flunssan kourissa. Flunssa ei onneksi pahemmin vienyt mennessään, mutta piti kuitenkin poissa treeneistä. Ja samalla auttoi ajattelemaan omaa jaksamista ja kropan kuuntelua, mikä oli tärkeä oppitunti sekin!


Hieman malttamattomalle treenaajalle viikon lepo on melko pitkä aika. Sain kuitenkin muutamalta taholta ukaasia että nyt vain täyttä lepoa, joten näin se oli nähtävä.  Lepo on kaiken a ja o tässä kohtaa.

Eilen annoin itselleni luvan hiihtoon, 90min hiihto kevyesti lepoviikon viimeisenä harjoituksena. Sen jälkeen vielä 1,5h kävelylenkki, molemmat hyvässä seurassa! Nämä antoivat potkua itselle, ja henkisesti sain varmistusta siitä, että kunnossa ollaan.

Aika erilainen olikin tämän viikon hiihto kuin edellinen. Viikon takainen 3h hiihtolenkki osoitti flunssaviikon sisällön: viime viikon pisin treeni oli melkeinpä tähänastisen treenaamisen kovin ja raskain rutistus.

Hiihto ei maistunut, ei luistanut, väsytti, koko ajan paleli vaikka sykkeen mukaan mentiin pk-alueen ylärajoilla. Lopetus ei ollut kaukana, mutta määrätietoisesti vedin koko setin. Tästä kaikesta olisi pitänyt jo ymmärtää, missä on vika.

Aina sitä ei halua ymmärtää eikä myöskään muista, miten se flunssa tekee tuloaan, kun harvemmin on sen kourissa.

Tästä kasvoi suuremmaksi yksi herkkyysalue, jota tulisi jokaisen liikkujan huomioida. Kun kaikki ei tunnu olevan kohdallaan, pitäisi osata kuunnella itseään.

Kuunteleminen lähtee monesta asiasta, eniten lähtisin tarkastelemaan omaa väsymyksen tasoa ja sykettä. Herkkyys tunnistaa oireet on liikkumisen kulmakivi, on kyse treeniväsymyksestä, flunssan tulosta, ylirasituksesta tai vaikka nukkumisen riittämättömyydestä. Väsyneenä tehdyt treenit eivät vie eteenpäin ja väsyneenä treenaamisen jälkeen palautuminen vie enemmän aikaa. Eikä väsyneenä repiminen tuo myöskään hyvää mieltä, joka urheilussa on yksi tärkeä osa.

Yksi talven flunssa on koettava. Olen tosi tyytyväinen viikon takaisen lenkin jälkeisestä neuvosta pysyä poissa treeneistä, olen nyt kunnossa ja valmis treenaamaan tulevan viikon kovempaa settiä. Nyt on nimittäin vuorossa 10-tuntinen treeniviikko. Sillä jatketaan, toivottavasti ilman jälkitauteja!

Treeni-iloa kaikille! Ja muistetaan - Huippukuntoon pääsee vain kun treenaa terveenä.

1 kommentti: