"You know you are a triathlete when you feel odd not working out at least six times a week.”

tiistai 6. toukokuuta 2014

Katse kohti Kanadaa

This is where we drove. A lot of road was left undriven...

Eye on Canada (Huom! suomenkielinen teksti alla)

I recently got back from a one-week training camp in Mallorca. The trip was interesting and especially fun as I was in the company of super cool people. The group was the greatest and even though my training didn’t go exactly according to plan, the memories of the trip couldn’t be better.

In terms of the training, I managed to complete the first two days as planned. The first one included 2,5 hours of biking, 0,5 hours of running and a bit of swimming and circuit training to top it off. The day went spectacularly. I biked about 70 km and ran 6 km. The second training day consisted of 3,5 hours of biking and 0,5 hours of running. The biking went smoothly for me until I met my match in the legendary Lluki climb (which is also the climb of Mallorca’s IM 70.3).

Three years ago in May in the Mallorca race I developed respiratory problems. Climbing up the hill caused such huffing and puffing and build-up of lactic acid in my muscles that I almost tossed my Scott road bike down the mountain. Yet I made it through that race with tough determination. Afterward the doctor diagnosed me as having acid-reflux, which thankfully I got medications for and the symptoms went away.

This time I might end up with permanent damage. During this second Lluki climb I was accompanied by my mental coach, my friend Petteri, who tried with all his might to get me to sign up for the Mallorca race again and to win my fear of that particular hill. Unfortunately it didn’t quite work out - in the beginning of the hill I started feeling pain in my knee that only got worse during the 10 km climb. After a short break we continued down the windy roads and took the shortest possible way to the hotel. On flat land the knee pain became so bad that I was pretty much biking with one foot, trailing behind Petteri for the most part. I finished the final 20-30 km trip with sheer determination and practically crying. At the hotel, after having biked for 80 km, I declared I was done biking for the whole summer. I said it in a state of emotional turmoil, while feeling excruciating pain in my knee - as if someone was stabbing me. I didn’t end up running more that day.


The first stop on the legendary Lluki climb...

I debated for a few days whether I should go see the doctor. Luckily I did go. The Spanish orthopedist diagnosed me as having a lactic acid cluster in my knee. I didn’t believe it, but I took the doctor’s advice on not putting pressure on the knee. Much to my surprise I was still able to go running during the following days.

All in all I accumulated about 14 training hours that week despite the knee, in the form of running, swimming, water jogging and circuit training. When I got back to Finland, I had a magnetic scan done on my knee and visited the practice of Ilkka Tulikoura, a family friend. Unlike the doctor who analyzed the scans, Ilkka found an injury in my kneecap – the quadriceps tendon was damaged at the point where it meets the kneecap. To my luck, the damage was only partial. Apparently it’s possible for the tendon to heal on its own, so I can keep on training as much as the knee can handle.


Cold therapy for the knee in the sea. Kinesio taping by Krista Terämaa :)

Based on the weekend’s workout, the knee is doing better. I’m happy that this wasn’t the end of racing for the summer, and instead I’ll most likely find myself at the starting line soon again. Then again, having to skip the summer’s races and training wouldn’t have been the end of the world. Of course I would have been upset, but right now I have a so many fun things going on in my life that it wouldn’t have bothered me all that long.

On midsummer at the IM 70.3 race in Luxembourg my goal is also – depending on the limitations set by the knee – to score a racing spot for the half distance triathlon world championship in Canada. I have a particularly important reason for challenging myself this way: Last summer my friend Elina managed to get a spot for the half distance triathlon world championships in Las Vegas after competing in the Haugesund race in Norway. The tentative plan was for me to go to Las Vegas in the fall as Elina’s guardian. However, Elina ended up getting some devastating news a couple of weeks before the race. She was diagnosed with acute leukemia. All in all she spent five months in the hospital in the fall and winter. Everything looked better in the spring until on April 17 she was told that the acute leukemia had come back. It looks like that’s it for her training.

This is why I want to challenge myself, as a member of Team Elina Jouhki, to grab a spot for the Canada triathlon world championships race in the fall. I want to do this as member of her team, and also to show that we should all live life to the fullest while we can. I want to exercise and dance through life to the extent that it’s possible today, tomorrow and for as long as we are allowed to be on this earth.

To find out more about Elina’s story, click here: http://oma.syopasaatio.fi/oma-kerays/aloita-keraeys.aspx?col=5-1200


PR at the Länsiväylä race on April 27, 2014 #TeamElinaJouhki #pinkwheels

Much to my joy I also managed to get my sports and lifestyle wholesale employer, Urheilu- ja Vapaa-aikatukkuliikkeet, to join the Team Elina Jouhki fundraising efforts by donating 500 euro to stem cell research awareness and to the people battling with this illness. I would like to invite all of my friends, acquaintances, family members and co-workers to sign up with the stem cell registry. For detailed information on requirements in Finland, go to www.veripalvelu.fi/www/kantasolut.

Life is precious. Let’s be thankful for everything we can do here!


I would like to wish everyone a sports-filled spring and please feel free to join Team Elina Jouhki, if you feel so inclined. This is a really important cause for Elina, me and the whole team. Let’s hold onto Elina’s motto for life: ”Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance.”

All the best to Elina and all the wonderful people that I have in my life. <3

PS. This coming weekend I’ll be running in the Icehearts teams of the Helsinki City Run for the second time. This time I won’t run as me, but as Katja Harinen.
Welcome to the cheering squad!


Katse kohti Kanadaa

 

Täällä ajeltiin, paljon jäi ajamatta...
Mallorcan viikon treenileiri on takana. Matka oli mielenkiintoinen ja erityisen hauska huipputyyppien seurassa. Mitä mahtavin porukka koossa, ja vaikka omalta osaltani treenit eivät menneet ihan suunnitellusti, muistot matkasta ovat mitä parhaimmat.

Treenien osalta pystyin tekemään suunnitellusti kaksi ensimmäistä päivää, joista ensimmäiseen kuului 2,5h pyörä ja 0,5h juoksu sekä sen päälle hiukan uintia ja kuntopiiriä. Päivä meni erinomaisesti. Matkaa taittui n. 70km pyörällä ja reippaat 6km juosten. Toinen treenipäivä koostui 3,5h fillarista ja 0,5h juoksusta. Fillari lähti hyvin liikkeelle kunnes omalta osaltani legendaariseksi koitunut Llukin nousu (joka on myös IM 70.3 Mallorcan kisareitin nousu) osoittautui toistamiseen "kohtalokseni".

Kolme vuotta sitten IM Mallorcan kisoissa (toukokuussa) sain hengitysongelmien vuoksi nousta mäen sellaisella puhinalla ja maitohapoilla, että meinasin heittää silloisen Scottin maantiepyörän vuoren rotkosta alas. Se kisa kuitenkin vietiin kovalla tsempillä läpi ja lääkäri totesi sen jälkeen refluksitaudin oireet, johon sain lääkkeet ja oireet onneksi katosivat.

Tällä kertaa jäljet ovat mahdollisesti pysyvät. Toisella Llukin nousulla matkassa oli mukana mentaalivalmentajani, ystäväni Petteri, joka koetti kaikin keinoin saada minut vielä kisaamaan Mallorcalla ja yritti saada minut voittamaan pelkoni kyseistä mäkeä kohtaan. Tämä ei valitettavasti ihan onnistunut, sillä mäen alussa iski polvikipu, joka vain yltyi ja yltyi 10km nousussa. Pienen tauon jälkeen jatkoimme alas serpentiiniteitä ja lyhintä reittiä hotellille. Tasamaalla polvi ärtyi niin pahaksi että poljin lähestulkoon yhdellä jalalla ja pitkälti Petterin peesissä. Loppumatka 20-30km meni hampaita purren ja lähes itkua vääntäen. Hotellilla reippaan 80km pyöräilyn jälkeen sanoin etten pyöräile enää tänä kesänä. Se oli tunnemyräkässä sanottua ja lähes puukon iskulta tuntuvan polvikivun kourissa todettua. Juoksut jäivät sen päivän osalta siihen.

Legendaarisen Llukin nousun ensimmäinen pysähdys...

Pari päivää odottelin, menenkö lääkäriin vai en. Onneksi menin. Espanjalaisen ortopedin diagnoosin mukaan minulla oli maitohapon kertymä polvessa. Sitä en uskonut, mutta kuuntelin ohjetta olla rasittamatta polvea. Juoksu kuitenkin onnistui tulevina päivinä, hämmästyttävää kyllä.

Kaiken kaikkiaan treenitunteja kertyi viikon ajalta 14 polvesta huolimatta juoksun, uinnin, vesijuoksun ja kuntopiirin muodossa. Suomeen tultuani kävin magneettikuvassa ja Tulikouran Ilkalla, joka on perhetuttuni. Ilkka löysi kuvista, toisin kuin magneettikuvia analysoinut lääkäri, nelipäisen reisilihaksen jänteen vaurion polvilumpion kiinnityskohdassa. Onnekseni jänne oli vaurioitunut vain osittain. Jänne voi mitä ilmeisemmin myös parantua itsestään. Nyt voin tehdä treeniä polven sallimissa rajoissa.

Polven kylmähoitoa meressä. Kinesioteippaus by Krista Terämaa :)

Viikonloppuna tehtyjen treenien perusteella polvi voi paremmin. Olen onnellinen, etteivät kesän kisat jääneet tähän, vaan pääsen mitä todennäköisimmin viivalle myös tänä kesänä. Tosin kisojen ja treenien poisjääminen kesän osalta ei olisi mullistanut elämääni. Toki se olisi harmittanut, mutta tällä hetkellä on kaikkea muuta mukavaa elämässäni niin paljon, että en olisi asiasta kovin paljoa musertunut.

Päätavoitteenani on myös polven sallimissa rajoissa päästä pokkaamaan juhannuksena IM 70.3 Luxembourgista MM-kisapaikka Kanadan syksyn triatlonin puolimatkan MM-kisoihin. Heitän haasteen itselleni myös yhdestä hyvin tärkeästä syystä.

Ystäväni Elina sai viime kesänä paikan triatlonin puolimatkan MM-kisoihin Las Vegasiin IM 70.3 Haugesundin kisasta Norjasta. Alustavien suunnitelmien mukaan minun piti lähteä Elinan huoltajaksi Las Vegasin MM-kisoihin syksyllä. Elina sai kuitenkin musertavan uutisen muutamia viikkoja ennen lähtöä. Hän oli sairastunut akuuttiin leukemiaan. Hän vietti yhteensä 5kk viime syksyn ja talven aikana sairaalassa. Kaikki näytti paremmalta keväällä, kunnes 17.4. hän sai kuulla akuutin leukemian uusiutuneen. Ilmeisesti hänen treenauksensa olivat siinä.

Haluan tästä syystä haastaa itseni Team Elina Jouhkin jäsenenä pokkaamaan paikan Kanadan syksyn triatlonin MM-kisoihin. Haluan tehdä sen Teamin jäsenenä ja osoituksena siitä, että tehdään kaikki täysillä vielä kun voidaan. Haluan liikkua ja tanssia elämän läpi täysillä siinä määrin kuin se on mahdollista tänään, huomenna ja niin kauan kun täällä maanpäällä saadaan olla.

Täältä pääsee näkemään Elinan stoorin tarkemmin http://oma.syopasaatio.fi/oma-kerays/aloita-keraeys.aspx?col=5-1200

PR Länsiväyläjuoksussa 27.4.2014 #TeamElinaJouhki #pinkwheels

Sain myös ilokseni työpaikkani Urheilu- ja Vapaa-aikatukkuliikkeet mukaan Team Elina Jouhkin keräykseen lahjoittamalla 500€ kantasolurekisterin tunnetuksi tekemiseen ja ihmisiä, sairauden kanssa kamppaillessa. Toivotan jokaisen tuttavani, ystäväni, perheenjäseneni ja työkaverini mukaan Kantasolurekisteriin. Yksityiskohtaiset tiedot siitä, mitä rekisteriin liittymiseen vaaditaan, löytyvät täältä: www.veripalvelu.fi/www/kantasolut

Elämä on kallisarvoista. Ollaan kiitollisia kaikesta, mitä saamme täällä tehdä!


Toivotan kaikille liikunnallista kevättä ja kaikki ketkä vain kokevat haluavansa liittyä Team Elina Jouhkiin, tehkää se. Se on todella tärkeää Elinalle, itselleni ja koko tiimille. Pidetään kiinni Elinan motosta elämään ”Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance.”

Kaikkea hyvää Elinalle ja kaikille ihanille ihmisille, jotka kuuluvat elämääni <3

P.s. Juoksen tulevana viikonloppuna Helsinki City Runin (HCR) toistamiseen Iceheartsin porukassa. Tällä kertaa en juokse omalla nimelläni vaan Katja Harisena :). Tervetuloa kannustamaan!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti