"You know you are a triathlete when you feel odd not working out at least six times a week.”

perjantai 27. kesäkuuta 2014

Ennätys IM 70.3 Luxemburgissa



Record IM 70.3 in Luxembourg (Huom! suomenkielinen teksti alla)

We’re all done with Ironman 70.3 in Luxembourg. The trip was beyond fabulous and on the way back I said that I’m so thankful to be able to do trips like this, to exercise and to spend time with the loveliest of people.

On the way to Friday night’s bike training ride…

The trip started with a bit of luggage excitement: the airline misplaced my luggage and I had to anxiously wait to see if I would receive my bags during the time I was in Brussels for business. The luggage finally arrived about 24 hours later to the hotel. That was fine, since the race was a bit less than 48 hours away at that point. I couldn’t stop staring at the clock the day before the race and we finally managed to check in our bicycles – with just 15 minutes left before the bike check-in was closing.

Monkeys on the run!
The Ironman race started exceptionally late on Saturday, at 1.10 p.m. (for all women). This meant that I managed to get a good night’s sleep and to have a leisurely breakfast. The temperatures rose to +25 Celsius during the day. That didn’t bother me, as I love heat.

The swimming kicked off with 300 women swimming back and forth on Moselle River. I promised not to start off too strong and I kept that promise. The swimming felt great from the beginning - 36 minutes went by in a heartbeat. It was my best swim ever. I hope this trend continues. 

From my preliminary research, the profile of the bicycle route looked to be flat first and then rising. My bike picked up speed right in the beginning. During the first 20 kilometers I zoomed past at least 30 women that I had lost to during the swim. I was full of confidence, since the first 40 kilometers consisted of suitably flat - though slightly windy - River Moselle terrain. I kept alternating spots with the person who got second place at my race until I took off before the hill. For some reason I always lose in uphills, so the French competitor passed me around the 40th kilometer. I tried to keep up but didn’t have much luck. That was it for me as far as passing others and being confident. After a few hours my legs started feeling the effects of the race and I had to go with whatever energy I had left. The final 10 kilometers were flat terrain by the Moselle River.


All in all I am happy with how the biking went, as I know I gave it my all. I did the best I could and I ended up with a time of 2:48 in this slightly too long of a biking section. The French competitor’s time was 2:42.

The running was slow going from the beginning. The bike route had taken its toll on the legs, and running felt slightly bad. Three loops and that would be it, I thought. At the 10-kilometer mark my knee started aching and my thoughts stalled. The second 10 kilometers felt hard. For a while I thought I wouldn’t complete the Ironman in August if my knee can’t handle it. But at this point it’s too early to think about that. Whether I finish the race or not, I’ll be at the starting line. Running another 42 kilometers cannot harm the knee much more.

During the running I didn’t pay attention to the time, only to my heart rate. Coming onto the home stretch, I realized I would break my own half-distance running record. You can only imagine how it feels to run the final 10 kilometers in pain and how great it then is to reach your own PB (personal best) at the end of it. I gave it my all during the final stretch – so much so that the audience went crazy. There was yelling, clapping and an announcement I didn’t properly hear. My feelings got the best of me at the finishing line and one guy even came to ask if I was okay. I said definitely – I had accomplished my own personal record time and beat myself.

The running route was most likely slightly too short, so my time of 1:40 doesn’t tell the full truth. But it was still a good accomplishment…

The organization of the race was excellent. At Sunday‘s trophy ceremony and the announcement of Canada’s World Championship slots we were treated to a nice dinner from appetizers to desert, accompanied with wine and champagne. I have never experienced this type of service in any other race.

Even though my 11th spot didn’t open up a race slot in Canada for me, I’m more than happy with my own race. I won myself, accrued many new experiences, saw spectacular wine region scenery and above all got to go on a fantastic trip with great people. Thank you!

Special thanks to Merja for everything you have accomplished over the last year! The week of the race felt right for both my well-being and my body. I’ve done the work myself, but you’ve trucked alongside me systematically within the limitations of my knee and life itself. Thank you <3



Ennätys IM 70.3 Luxemburgissa

Ironman 70.3 Luxembourg on takana. Reissu oli kertakaikkisen upea ja paluumatkalla lentokoneessa sanoin, että saan olla todella kiitollinen, kun saan tehdä tällaisia matkoja, urheilla ja viettää aikaa mitä ihanimpien ihmisten kanssa.

Perjantai-illan fillarilenkille lähdössä..
Kisareissu alkoi pienellä jännityksellä matkatavaroiden kanssa. Lentoyhtiö hukkasi laukkuni ja sain jännittääkö, saapuvatko matkatavarat ajoissa työmatkalle Brysseliin. Niin siinä kävi että saapuivat vajaa vuorokautta myöhässä hotellille. Se riitti, sillä kisaan oli vajaa 2 vuorokautta. Kisaa edeltävä päivä meni aikalailla kelloa katsoen ja saatiin pyörät tsekattua 15minuuttia ennen pyörächekkauksen sulkemista.

Monkeys on the run!
Kisaan startattiin poikkeuksellisen myöhään lauantaina klo 13:10 (kaikkien naisten lähtö). Tämän myötä aamulla sai nukkua ruhtinaallisesti ja nauttia aamupalan rauhassa. Lämpö nousi iltapäivällä n. 25 asteeseen. Se ei vielä haitannut ainakaan itseä, koska rakastan lämpöä.

Uinti startattiin vedestä 300 naisen voimin edestakaisin Mosel-jokea. Lupasin etten aloita liian kovaa ja lupaus tuli pidettyä. Uinti tuntui hyvältä heti alusta asti ja 36minuuttia meni kuin siivillä. Paras uintini ikinä. Toivottavasti tämä jatkuu.

Pyöräprofiili näytti ennen kisaa tutkiessa alkumatkasta flätiltä jonka jälkeen alkaa nousut. Pyörä alkoi kulkea heti alussa vauhdilla. Saavutin ensimmäisen 20km aikana vähintään 30 naista joille olin uinnissa hävinnyt. Uhkuin itseluottamusta, sillä ensimmäiset 40km oli itselleni sopivaa, tasaista, tosin ajoittain tuulista Mosel-joen viertä. Ajeltiin oman sarjani kisan toiseksi tulleen kanssa vuoronperään, kunnes otin irtioton ennen ylämäkeä. Häviän jostain syystä ylämäissä aina, joten ranskalainen painoi 40km jälkeen ohi. Koitin pysyä perässä, yritys oli kuitenkin huono. Siihen jäi ohittelut ja itseluottamus. Parin mäen jälkeen jaloissa tuntui ja menin sillä ruudilla mitä löytyi. Loppu 10km oli taas tasaista Mosel-joen viertä ajelua.

Kaiken kaikkiaan olen tyytyväinen pyörään, sillä tiedän etten olisi pystynyt parempaan. Tein voitavani ja sillä sain 2:48 ajan hieman ylipitkässä pyörässä. Ranskalaisen aika oli 2:42.


Juoksu alkoi kankeasti heti alkuun. Pyöräreitti oli sen verran kova jaloille, että tuntui jopa aavistuksen pahalle. Kolme looppia ja sitten se olisi siinä, ajattelin. Kymmenen kilsan kohdalla polvi alkoi säteillä ja ajatukset tahkoa, toiset 10km tuntui kovalta. Ajattelin hetken, etten tee Ironmania elokuussa, ettei polvi kestä. Sitä on kuitenkin turha vielä tässä kohtaa miettiä, menee läpi tai ei, viivalle mennään. En voi tehdä sille enempää hallaa, vaikka juoksisin 42km.

Juoksussa en katsonut kelloa, ainoastaan sykettä. Maalisuoran päässä tajusin tekeväni oman ennätykseni puolimatkalla. Jokainen voi vain kuvitella, miltä viimeiset 10km kivun kanssa tuntuivat ja miten hienolta sen päälle on saada oma PB (personal best). Tuuletin niin tunteella koko maalisuoran että yleisö räjähti. Huutoa, taputusta ja kuuluttaja kuulutti jotain, en edes muista mitä, sen verran olin sekaisin. Tunteet tulivat pintaan maalissa ja yksi kundi kysyikin, oliko kaikki hyvin. Vastasin, että on todellakin, tein oman ennätykseni ja voitin itseni.

Juoksureitti oli kaiketi aavistuksen lyhyt, joten oma juoksuni 1:40 ei kerro kaikkea. Hyvä aika silti..

Kisajärjestelyt toimivat erinomaisesti. Sunnuntaina palkintojenjaossa ja Kanadan MM-kisaslottien jakotilaisuudessa tarjottiin loistava ateria alkuruoasta jälkiruokaan viinien ja skumppien kera. Tällaista kisaserviceä en ole saanut missään kisassa aiemmin.

Vaikka Kanada-paikkaa ei tällä kertaa tullut sijoituksella 11, olen enemmän kuin tyytyväinen omaan kisaani. Voitin itseni, olen monta kokemusta rikkaampi, näin mitä upeimpia maisemia viiniseutuineen ja ennen kaikkea sain viettää mitä hienoimman reissun hienojen ihmisten kanssa. Kiitos!

Merjalle erityiskiitos siitä mitä olet taas vuoden aikana saanut aikaan! Kisaviikko osui nappiin sen tunsi omassa olossa ja kropassa. Itse olen työni tehnyt, mutta olet tehnyt järjestelmällistä työtä polven ja elämän sallimissa rajoissa. Kiitos <3


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti