"You know you are a triathlete when you feel odd not working out at least six times a week.”

keskiviikko 22. heinäkuuta 2015

Normipäivästä ennätyspäiväksi


From an average day to a record day (HUOM! Suomenkielinen teksti alla)

The legendary Joroinen half-triathlon Finnish Championships race is now behind me, but the memories remain vivid.

The weekend before the Joroinen race I completed the hardest workout I’ve done in recent memory. I accidentally glanced at the training program mid-way through the week already and felt terrified at what the weekend would bring along. After all, by that point it had barely been two weeks since the long-distance World Championships. But I decided I would still do my best during the training since it would be my last proper workout before the Ironman race of August 2.

Exactly a week before the Joroinen race on Saturday I had to swim for 1,5 km before the Helsinki Triathlon Rykäsy, which was followed by an hour of running. Never mind that Rykäsy is a tough contest even in and of itself, if/when you go at full speed. Yet the day was a great success for me. The next day, on the other hand, was a “mystery” - my coach warned me that I was in for a tough workout. That I already knew myself, and the thought of the workout scared me. Big time. For once I was freaked out. Over the years I’ve become such a tough cookie that I’m not scared easily anymore.

In the end I completed four hours of tough biking, and agreed to send a message to Markos afterward about my feelings. Here’s my message:

“That was quite the trek. I guess I expected something even worse, but that was already pretty sufficient. The rain was pouring down after the first few hours, during the speed endurance strokes. I felt pretty cold there. Magically my legs worked flawlessly after all the training of this week. Toward the end my biggest challenge was breathing. During the final 30 minutes it was tough to get my heart rate up to level 1 of speed endurance. Then again I finished my aerobic/speed endurance training with a heart rate of 161, so I guess I did okay. The total distance covered was 123 km, with an altitude difference of 910 meters. My median heart rate was 144. Sounds about okay?”

I guess that message tells you enough about what the day entailed. The going was tough, and I excelled physically. Everything was topped off with light running.

 


The following week would be the Finnish Championships race week of Joroinen. I could sense that I was tired, even mentally, which goes with the territory. Triathlon is not an easy sport even in that respect. After I had recovered from the weekend’s tough training and the tiredness that plagued me early in the week, I started reaching a good assertiveness level by Friday. On Friday when we traveled to Joroinen, I was calm – even too phlegmatic, if you ask me. Of course Mirka and I became hysterical once again, but less so than in Motala. On Saturday before the race my mind was peaceful – actually a bit too calm and phlegmatic, once again. I felt no pressure for the contest. I would just do my best, I thought.

Stretching before the start of swimming

Finally here’s a short reportage from Joroinen. The swimming went well. I could have swam even better, but the previous groups that started before us were blocking the way and I passed a fair number of people, which drained some of my energy. The biking was a bit of a disappointment for me, as someone who went at it solo. I noticed there was lots of tailgating going on. I can tell who took part in it by looking at the final times. I also noticed it throughout the trip when I passed people by on the side lane. Terrible, I’d say. It was particularly pathetic that the judges said nothing about it. The race rules dictate a punishment for those biking closer than 10 meters apart, and yet there were groups with only 1-3 meters of distance. Of course that helps you a ton. I myself got a thumbs-up from one of the judges, and only found out who gave it after I had passed the finish line.

My legs were not at their best during the biking. Comparing this to the World Championships, my biking was mediocre. My heart rate was around 165 during the first 25 km, which is too much. I decreased the speed and my heart rate dropped back to the right figures. That’s when a couple of women passed me by. I kept trucking on at full speed – sometimes I was leading our pack, sometimes I was in the back.

When I got to the bike-to-run transition, I felt excellent. My thinking during the biking had been to conserve energy for running, also because I didn’t want to feel pain in my back-buttocks-hip-hamstring. Running felt amazingly great the whole time. For the first time I can say I truly enjoyed the running part of the triathlon. The final climax ended up being the day’s strongest push: I had a feeling I was at second place throughout the biking and running. Cross-country skier Mari Härmälä, who ended up being my age group’s winner, was about 10 minutes ahead of me during the running. I figured I wouldn’t be able to catch up with her, knowing how tough she is. I had no idea who was third, until I saw her passing me during the forest section of the third and final running loop. I decided not to lose sight of this woman. Her running looked really strong. We alternated in the lead for a while – I passed her going uphill, and she passed me in a slight downhill. The battle was tough on both sides. I decided not to give up my last year’s silver without a fight. I decided early on that at the end of the forest section I would run the rest of the way as fast as I could, leaving her behind –hopefully. The moment came and I started going full-speed. I ran as fast as I could and found plenty of strength in my legs. When I got to the finish line my legs were full of lactic acid and the men that that shared the finish line with me, either while reaching the goal or continuing to the third round, got to feel a couple of hits in their elbows. I reached the goal post 6 seconds before the third woman. I took a few deep breaths until the third one came to give me a pat on the back and praised my final spurt. She said it looked spectacular. It felt that way, too. I was happy and I shed a few tears in front of the maintenance crew. The last time I experienced similar tears was at the IM Luxembourg 70.3 race, when my knee hurt a lot and yet I beat my own half-triathlon record. These are the best moments in sports when you manage to beat yourself and to see your capacity. Indescribable.

The final spurt of the home stretch

All in all I can once again say that the race went really well. Joroinen was great practice for the IM Maastricht coming up in 1.5 weeks – my third Ironman.


Feeling a bit emotional after finishing :)

Triathlon is such a fantastic sport and the people involved with it are spectacular. Congratulations were heard before the race and so many cheers before and during the race that I feel utterly grateful that you all are living this sport with me. I’m speechless.


Rejoicing after reaching the goal - I made it!

Now it’s time to reflect a bit and to hope for a superb day in Holland. We’ll go with that for now. I only realized on Sunday after the Joroinen race that I improved my time by 17 minutes from last year. Joroinen 2015 at 4 hours, 57 minutes and 43 seconds is now also my half-triathlon record. The circumstances were no different to last year’s Joroinen aside from the heat last year. This year the weather was perfect – you got to pour mushrooms (water) on your head and that helped. We didn’t need anything else.

With these words I’ll go back to my reflections and will keep up the good feeling here by the sea. Thank you everyone!

Rejoicing for the victory at the podium


Normipäivästä ennätyspäiväksi


 
Joroisten legendaarinen puolimatkan SM-triathlon on takana ja muistot ovat sen mukaiset.

Tein Joroisia edeltävänä viikonloppuna ehkä kovimmat treenit naismuistiin. Katsoin vahingossa ohjelmaa jo kyseisen viikon puolivälissä ja kauhistelin viikonlopun treeniä päässäni. Eihän pitkänmatkan MM-kisoista ollut kulunut silloin kun pari viikkoa. Ajattelin kuitenkin, että ne tehdään huolella sillä ne olivat viimeiset kunnon treenit ennen 2.8. kisattavaa Ironmaniani.

Viikkoa ennen Joroista lauantaina koitti 1,5km uinti ennen Helsinki Triathlonin Rykäsyä, jonka päälle vielä tunnin juoksu. Rykäsy on itsessään jo kova jos/kun sen painaa menemään kovaa. Selvisin päivästä erittäin hyvin. Seurava päivä olikin pieni "mysteeri" sillä couchi jo varoitteli, että treeni on kova. Sen tiesin itsekin etukäteen ja ajatus treenistä pelotti. Oikeasti. Kerrankin mua pelotti. Sen verran kovaksi luuksi tässä on kasvanut ettei enää ihan pienet asiat pelota. Tein 4h kovan pyörän josta lupasin lähettää Markokselle viestiä jälkikäteen miltä tuntui. Tässä viestini: Olihan se lenkki. Ehkä odotin vielä pahempaa mutta olihan tuokin jo ihan riittävä. Parin tunnin jälkeen vk-vedoissa (vk=vauhtikestävyys) tuli vettä alas kuin saavista. Vähän kroppa kylmeni siinä. Yllättäen tämän viikon jälkeen jalat pelitti erinomaisesti. Eniten tuntui hengityksessä loppua kohti. Vika 30min aikana oli vaikea saada sykkeet vk1-tasolle. Tosin lopetin aerobisen/vk-treenin 161 sykkeeseen, joten kaipa sekin ihan ok onnistui. Matkaa kertyi 123km, nousua 910m, keskisyke 144. Kaipa ihan ok?

Ehkä tuosta viestistä näkee päivän sisällön riittävästi. Kovaa mentiin ja kunto kesti. Sen päälle oli vielä kevyt juoksu.

Ikäryhmänaisten startti




Seuraava viikko olisikin sitten Joroisten SM-kisaviikko. Väsymystä oli havaittavissa ja jopa henkistä väsymystä, joka kuuluu asiaan. Ei triathlon päästä ihan helpolla siinäkään. Toivuttuani viikonlopun kovista treeneistä ja alkuviikon väsymyksestä, alkoi taas perjantaina olla vireys kohdallaan. Perjantaina kun matkattiin Joroisille, olin rauhallinen - mielestäni kyllä vähän liiankin fleku. Saatiin tosin hysteriakohtauksia Mirkan kanssa jälleen kerran, mutta Motalaan verrattuna vähemmissä määrin. Lauantaina ennen kisaa mieli oli tyyni - taas vähän liiankin tyyni ja flekmaattinen. En ottanut painetta kisasta. Teen sen minkä jaksan ja rahkeista lähtee, ajattelin.

Venyttelyt ennen uinnin starttia

Loppupeleissä lyhykäisesti raportti Joroisista. Uinti hyvä, paremminkin olisin voinut uida mutta edellisiä lähtöryhmiä oli tiuhaan edessä ja ohituksia tuli riittävästi, jotka veivät jonkin verran energiaa. Pyörä omalta kohdaltani yksin suoritettuna hieman pettymys. Peesausta oli järjestelmällisesti koko matkan ajan. Tiedän ketkä ovat peesanneet aikoja katsoen. Näin sen myös matkalla lähes koko matkan ohituskaistaa painaen. Järkyttävää sanoisin. Ja erityisen säälittävää on se ettei tuomarit puuttuneet siihen. Jos kisan henki ja sääntö on se, että rangaistus annetaan, jos ajaa toista lähempänä kuin 10m niin siellä meni porukoita joilla oli 1-3m väli toiseen. Tottakai se auttaa menoa rutkasti. Itse sain tuomarilta jopa peukun, joka selvisi maaliin tullessani kuka peukkua näytti. Jalat eivät olleet freeseimmät pyörässä. MM-kisoihin nähden pyörä meni keskinkertaisesti. Syke huiteli myös ekat 25km 165 luokkaa joka on liikaa. Laskin vauhtia ja sykkeet tippuivat oikeisiin lukemiin. Silloin pari ikäsarjan kärkinaista painelikin ohi. Annoin painaa, vaikka hetken vedinkin letkaa ja toisinaan olin takana.

Juoksuvaihtoon tultua olo oli tosi hyvä. Ajatuksena oli myös säästellä kerrankin pyörässä jalkojani juoksuun. Sekä siihen ettei selkä-pakara-lonkka-takareisi kipuilisi liikaa juoksussa. Juoksu tuntui koko matkan sairaan hyvältä. Ensimmäisen kerran voin sanoa että nautin todella triathlonosuuden juoksusta. Loppukliimaksi olikin sitten suurin ponnistus päivässä. Tiesin/arvelin olevani toinen koko pyörä-juoksuosuudella. Maastohiihtäjä ikäsarjani voittaja Mari Härmälä oli n. 10min päässä juoksussa (edelläni siis), joten häntä en voisi kiinni saada, ajattelin, koska tiesin kuinka kova hän on. Kolmannesta itselläni ei ollut hajuakaan kunnes kolmannella ja viimeisellä juoksuloopilla ikäsarjani kolmanneksi tullut nainen paineli ohi viimeisen kierroksen metsäosuudella. Päätin että pysyn selässä kiinni. Hänen juoksunsa näytti todella vahvalta. Vedettiin muutama vuoroveto - ylämäessä vedin ohi kunnes loivassa alamäkiosuudessa hän paineli ohi. Taistelu oli puolin sun toisin kova. Päätin että en luovu viime vuoden hopeasta helpolla. Päätin jo varhaisessa vaiheessa että metsäpätkän lopussa vedän lopun niin kovaa kuin jaksan, jolloin hän jää taakseni - toivottavasti. Hetki koitti ja lähdin painamaan. Juoksin niin kovaa mitä jaloissa oli voimaa ja sitähän oli. Maalissa jalat oli hapoilla ja miehet jotka juoksivat maaliin tai kolmannelle kierrokselle kolmen rivissä maalisuoralla sai tuntea muutaman iskun kyynärpäissään. Olin maalissa 6 sekuntia ennen kolmosta. Hetken vedin henkeä kunnes kolmonen tuli taputtamaan selkää ja kertoi mikä loppuspurtti. Mahtavan näköistä kuulemma. Siltä se tuntui. Olin onnellinen ja herkistyin huoltojoukkojen edessä muutamaan kyyneleeseen. Viimeksi samanlainen kyynel vierähti IM Luxembourghin 70.3 -kisassa jolloin polvi sattui todella paljon ja tein silti oman puolimatkan ennätykseni. Nämä on niitä parhaimpia hetkiä urheilussa kun pystyt voittamaan itsesi ja näkemään mihin sitä vielä itsestä onkaan. Sanoinkuvaamatonta.

Maalisuoran spurtti

Kokonaisuutena voin taas todeta että kisa meni hyvin. Joroinen toimi loistavana harjoituksena 1,5 viikon päästä kisattavaan IM Maastrichtiin - kolmanteen Ironmaniini.

Pientä herkistelyä maalissa :)

Triathlon on kertakaikkisen hieno laji ja ihmiset sen parissa aivan mahtavia. Onnitteluja kisan jälkeen  ja tsemppauksia kisaa ennen ja kisan aikana on tullut niin paljon, että tunnen ihan mieletöntä kiitollisuutta miten jaksatte elää kanssani tätä upeaa lajia. Olen sanaton.

Maalituuletukset - I made it!

Nyt herkistelyä ja pöljä päivä Hollantiin. Sillä mennään. Tajusin vasta sunnuntaina Joroisten kisan jälkeen että tein 17minuutin aikaparannuksen viime vuoden kisaan nähden. Joroinen 2015 4h 57min 43sek, joka on nyt myös  puolimatkan ennätykseni.  Olosuhteissa ei ollut muuta poikkeamaa viime vuoden Joroisiin nähden kuin viime vuoden kuumuus. Tänä vuonna oli mahtava keli - sieniä (vettä) sai valuttaa päähän ja se auttoi. Muuta ei tarvittu.

Näillä sanoilla jatkan herkistelyä ja loistofiiliksen ylläpitoa meren rannalla. Kiitos kaikille!

Tuuletukset palkintojenjaossa


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti